Research Themes in Microwaves
Microwaves and Antennas
This core area of activity focuses on the design of novel electromagnetic structures, such as antennas and RF/microwave/mm-wave circuits and systems, which exhibit new phenomena and/or demonstrate superior performance characteristics compared to their conventional counterparts. By developing innovative structures that advance the state of the art in the area, valuable contributions are made in the fields of wireless communications, biomedical devices and imaging, radio-frequency identification, space/satellite systems, and wireless power transfer systems.
Activities focus on the design, development and testing of the following:
- Antenna systems and sub-systemsRF, microwave and mm-wave circuits and devices
- Engineered electromagnetic materials such as negative-refractive-index metamaterials
- Implantable/wearable antennas and devices for biomedical applications
- Antenna array systems for biomedical imagingNon-radiative wireless power transfer systems
- Electromagnetic energy harvesting systems for wireless sensor networks and RFIDs
- Compact reconfigurable antenna systems for Satellite-On-The-Move (SOTM) terminals.