Nicos Nicolaou is an Assistant Professor of Management at the Department of Public and Business Administration at the University of Cyprus, a Fellow at Judge Business School, University of Cambridge and a Visiting Fellow at the Innovation & Entrepreneurship Group at Imperial College Business School. He was previously a Lecturer at Imperial College London. He has been included in Who’s Who in the World, the Dictionary of International Biography, and Who’s Who in Science and Engineering. Nicos´ research has appeared on the CNN, BBC, The Times, USA Today, ABC News, Reuters, MSNBC, Washington Post, The Independent, Daily Mail, The Guardian etc. Nicos has a PhD from Imperial College London (2004), a Master’s degree from the University of Cambridge and a BSc with First Class Honours from the University of Bristol. He has been awarded the Psion Prize for best Doctoral thesis, the Cambridge Chevening Scholarship, the A.G. Leventis Foundation Scholarship, a University of Bristol Undergraduate Scholarship, the Principal’s Award for Outstanding Teaching at Imperial College London, and a Fellowship of the Cambridge Commonwealth Society. He has published in journals like Management Science, Journal of Applied Psychology, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal, Journal of Business Venturing, Human Resource Management, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization etc.
Entrepreneurship, University-Industry Technology Transfer, University Spinouts, Behavioral Genetics, Innovation Management, Social Networks.
• Nicolaou, N., Birley, S. (2003). Social networks in organizational emergence: the university spinout phenomenon. Management Science 49(11) 1702-1725.
• Nicolaou, N., Birley, S. (2003). Academic networks in a trichotomous categorization of university spinouts. Journal of Business Venturing 18 (3) 333-359.
• Nicolaou, N. (2006). Institutional structures and the creation of university spinouts. European Biopharmaceutical Review Spring, 34-39.
• Nicolaou, N. (2007). A spinning streak: A four-dimensional perspective on university spinouts. European Biopharmaceutical Review Spring, 26-31.
• Nicolaou, N. Shane, S., Cherkas, L., Hunkin, J., Spector, T. (2008). Is the tendency to engage in entrepreneurship genetic? Management Science 54(1) 167-179.
• Nicolaou, N., Shane, S. Cherkas, L., Spector, T. (2008). The influence of sensation seeking in the heritability of entrepreneurship. Strategic Entrepreneurship Journal 2 7-21. Lead Article
• Criscuolo, P. Nicolaou, N., Salter, A. (2008). The elixir or burden of youth? Exploring differences among start-ups and established firms in innovation behavior in the UK. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings.
• Nicolaou, N. Shane, S., Cherkas, L., Spector, T. (2009). Opportunity recognition and the tendency to be an entrepreneur: A bivariate genetics perspective. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes 110(2) 108-117.
• Nicolaou, N., Shane, S. (2009). Born entrepreneurs? The genetic foundations of entrepreneurship. Journal of Business Venturing 23 1-22. Lead Article
• Shane, S., Nicolaou, N., Cherkas, L., Spector, T. (2010) Do openness to experience and opportunity recognition have the same genetic source? Human Resource Management 49(2) 291-303.
• Nicolaou, N. Shane, S. (2010). Entrepreneurship and occupational choice: genetic and environmental influences. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization 76 3-14. Lead Article
• Shane, S., Nicolaou, N., Cherkas, L., Spector, T. (2010). Genetics, the Big Five, and the Tendency to Be Self-Employed. Journal of Applied Psychology 95(6) 1154-1162.
• Chugh. H., Nicolaou, N., Barnes, S. (2011). Psychological ownership and escalation of commitment in university spinouts. Venture Capital: An International Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance. 13(3) 243-265.
• Nicolaou, N, Shane, S, Adi, G., Mangino, M., Harris, J. (2011). A polymorphism associated with entrepreneurship: Evidence from dopamine receptor candidate genes. Small Business Economics. 36 151-155.
• Quaye, L., Nicolaou, N., Shane, S., Harris, J. (2012). A Study of Gene-Environment Interactions In Entrepreneurship. Entrepreneurship Research Journal. In Press
• Criscuolo, P., Nicolaou, N., Salter, A. (2012). The elixir (or burden) of youth? Exploring differences in innovation between start-ups and established firms. Research Policy, 319-333.
• Nicolaou, N, Shane, S (2011). The Genetics of Entrepreneurship. In Handbook of Research on Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Editors David Audretsch, Stephan Heblich, Oliver Lalck, Adam Lederer. Edward Elgar, p. 471-486.
• Nicolaou, N. (2011). Entrepreneurship: An activity and a way of life. In Entrepreneurship. Editor Scott Shane. Henry Stewart Talks Ltd, London.
• Shane, S., Nicolaou, N. (forthcoming). The biological basis to Entrepreneurship. In Biological Foundations of OB. Editors Richard Arvey & Stephen Colarelli. University of Chicago Press.