Tatiana Synodinοu obtained her law degree from Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. She completed her postgraduate studies at the University Aix-Marseille III and her doctoral and postdoctoral studies at Aristotle University of Thessaloniki receiving fellowships from the Greek Scholarship Foundation and by the Committee of Research of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki.
Prior to her appointment as Assistant Professor at the University of Cyprus, Tatiana Synodinou worked as scientific collaborator with teaching duties at the Faculty of Law of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (2001-2004) and at the Interdisciplinary postgraduate program of “Informatics and Management” of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki. She also worked as a full-time Visiting Lecturer at the Department of Mass Media of Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and the Department of Accounting and Finance of the University of Macedonia, as a short- time Visiting Lecturer at the postgraduate program “Μ2 Recherche Droit de Propriété Intellectuelle” of the University of Nantes and as a scientific collaborator to the Centre of International and European Economic Law.
Dr. Synodinou has been a member of the Bar Office of Thessaloniki since 2000.
She has worked as a short time expert to EU twinning projects and was a member of the e-business Advisory Board for the study “Intellectual Property for ICT producing SMEs” in the context of the the "Sectoral e-Business Watch" 2007-2008.
She is a case law reporter for “Kluwer Law International” to the legal database «Kluwer EU IP Cases» and a contributor to Kluwer Copyright Blog.
She has also been a National expert for the Public Domain Calculator project, Europeana Connect (www.outofcopyright.eu)
She has participated as a speaker to numerous conferences-study days-seminars. She has been the main organizer of the International Conference “Towards a European Copyright Code?” which was held on April 14-15, 2011 at the University of Cyprus.
- Private Law with emphasis on intellectual
- property law.
- Media Law.
- Computer Law.
- Commercial Law with emphasis on competition law and company law.
- Land Law.
- Cyprus land law (Greek language), Sakkoulas Publications, 2012, Athens-Thessaloniki, Greece; 212p.
- Academic copyright in Cyprus and in France, Nicosia 2010 (co-publication with Ph. Jougleux, 187p. in Greek and French).
- Copyright law and new technologies: the relationship between author and use (362 p., in Greek), Sakkoulas Publications, 2008, Athens-Thessaloniki, Greece.
- The legal protection of image: copyright, trademark, media law (370 p., in Greek), Sakkoulas Publications, 2007, Athens-Thessaloniki, Greece.
- The legal protection of databases (517 p., in Greek), Sakkoulas Publications, 2004, Athens-Thessaloniki, Greece.
- Editor of “Codification of European Copyright, Challenges and perspectives, Kluwer Law International, 2012 (395p).
- Editor of Iglezakis/Synodinou/Kapidakis (ed.), E-Publishing and Digital Libraries: Legal and Organizational Issues, IGI Global, Hershey – New York, 2011 (528p).
Articles/Chapters in books
Chapters in Books
- E-books: A New Page in the History of Copyright Law?, EIPR, vol. 35, issue 4, p. 220 (in English).
- “La protection internationale des AOP/IGP” in : Th. Georgopoulos, : “Les AOC a l’épreuve de la nouvelle OCM vitivinicole”, Bruyllant (under publication) (in French).
Chapters in Books
- “Google versus the law”, World Financial Review July/August 2012. Available on line at: http://www.worldfinancialreview.com/?p=1993 (in English).
- “The principle of technological neutrality in European Copyright Law”, EIPR, vol. 34, issue 9, p. 618. (in English).
- “The media coverage of court proceedings in Europe: Striking a balance between freedom of expression and fair process”, Computer Law and Security Review, April 2012, p. 208. (in English).
- National report for Cyprus, in R. Hilty/S. Nérisson, Balancing Copyright- A Survey of National Approaches, MPI Studies on Intellectual Property and Competition Law 18, Springer, 2012, p. 349 (in English).
- “The excile of ideas from copyright law: a critical approach of the idea/expression dichotomy in the 21st century” in: Greek Association of intelectual property law, The Works of George Koumantos and current issues of copyright law, proceedings of the conference organised in the memory of George Koumantos, Sakkoulas Publications, 2012, Greece (in Greek).
- Analysis of articles 15, 15a, 17b of Law 2190/1920 about companies limited by shares (Societe Anonyme) and of European Company law in: Antonopoulos/Mouzoulas, Company Law, 2012 (144p., under publication by Sakkoulas editions) (in Greek).
- Protection de la propriété à Chypre : cadre légal et frontières de l'acquis communautaire, in Rosseto/Agapiou-Joséphides, La singularité de Chypre dans l'Union européenne, Diversité des droits et des status, mare & martin (in French).
- “The legal protection of image and its limtations” in E-themis, proceedings of the 3rd National Conference “The law in the digital era”, Nomiki Vivliothiki, 2012 (in Greek).
- “The foundations of the concept of work in European Copyright Law” in: Synodinou (ed.), Towards a European Copyright Code, Kluwer Law International 2012,(in English).
Chapters in books
- The Padawan case : towards a uniform interpretation and application of the concept of “fair remuneration” for the private copy exception, a commentary, Applications of Public Law Review I/2011, p. 87 (in Greek).
- "The protection of choreographic works", December 2011, (in Greek) http://ucy.academia.edu/TatianaSynodinou
- “The protection of digital libraries as databases: an ideal choice or a paradox?”, in: “E-Publishing and Digital Libraries: Legal and Organizational Issues”, IGI Global Information Science Reference, Hershey-New York, 2011, p. 232 (in English).
- Google versus the Law. Google's legal adventures and their impact to the evolution of European information law, in M Bottis, An information law for the 21st century, Nomiki Vivliothiki, 2011 (in English).
Chapters in Books
- “Database sui generis right and re-utilisation of the information of the public sector”, Media Law Review, 2010, p. 45 (in Greek).
- “The Lawful User and a Balancing of Interests in European Copyright Law”, IIC 7/2010, p. 819 (in English).
- "The creation and the protection of digital libraries in Cypriot copyright law", September 2010 (in Greek), http://ucy.academia.edu/TatianaSynodinou
- “Intellectual property law and personal data protection”. Contribution to the collective work: Lambrinoudakis/Katsikas/Gritzalis/Mitrou, “Protection of privacy in the field of new technologies”, Papassotiriou editions 2010, (in Greek).
- The protection of digital libraries as
Chapters in Books
- Legal protection of databases by the database sui generis right: new confirmation of the proprietary character of sui generis right after the ECJ decision of 9th of October 2008, (in Greek), Media Law Review 1/2009.
- RFID, is society one step before the disappearance of personal data protection?, in Politis/Kozyris/Iglezakis, «Legal and socioeconomic Aspects of Intrusion», IGI Global, Information Science Reference, Hershey-New York, 2009, p. 89-107.
- The Rights and Duties of Lawful User in EU Copyright Law, in: Maria Bottis (ed.), A World for Information Law, 8th international computer ethics: Philosophical Inquiry Conference, Nomiki Vivliothiki, 2009, p. 671-693.
- Analysis of the 7th chapter of Greek Copyright Law 2121/1993, (in Greek), in Kotsiris/Stamatoudi (ed.), Law 2121/1993, Sakkoulas Legal editions, Athens-Thessaloniki, 2009, p. 731-810.
- The newspaper as a database (in Greek) in: Stamatoudi (ed.), Copyright for journalists, Sakkoulas publications, 2009, p. 161-180.
Chapters in Books
- Protection of titles of newspapers: comment on Court of First Instance of Athens decision number 5970/2008 (in Greek), 2008, Media Law Review 3/2008, p.259-362.
- Collective management over works of music and contracts in the phonographic industry: Comment on Court of Appeal of Athens 8427/2006 decision, (in Greek), Media Law Review 1/2008, p. 35-43.
- Distribution networks and Internet, (in Greek), Greek Commercial Law Review, June 2008, p. 273-297.
- The software industry: A review of the legal framework and recommendations for SMEs in the field of software protection, May 2008, in: European e-Business Report 2008, The impact of ICT and the e-business on firms, sectors and the economy, p. 258-260, http://www.ebusiness-watch.org.
- Legal protection of databases: Analysis of the ECJ judgments, May 2007, in: http://www.tatianasinodinou. eu.
- The game and the consumer (in Greek), Scientific Yearbook of Armenopoulos Law Review 2007, p. 35-63.
- Voyage aux sources du test des trois étapes aux sources du droit d’auteur, Revue Lamy Droit de l’immatériel, août/septembre 2007, p. 67 - 75.
- Mass Media and Culture: the protection of journalists by copyright, (in Greek), Media Law Review, 2007, p. 198.
- The Directive on the legal protection of databases: ten years of application (in Greek), Chronicles of Private Law 2007, p.667-672.
- Copyright protection for authors who are employed by the Public sector (in Greek), Armenopoulos Law Review, March 2007, p. 362-372.
- Databases and libraries, (in Greek), Hellenic Review of European Law, January-Mars 2006, p.143-168.
- Droit d’auteur et droit du producteur d’une base de données, retour sur « l’arrêt malgache », Expertises des systèmes d’information, n° 298, décembre 2005, p. 422 - 427.
- Troubles juridiques autour de la protection d’un site web, Expertises des systèmes d’information, n° 290, mars 2005, p. 96 – 101.
- The use of RFID technology and data protection”. (in Greek), Armenopoulos Law Review, September 2005, p.1363-1374.
- New data for the database protection. (in Greek), Media Law Review, n°5, January-Mars 2005, p. 63-74.
- T. Sinodinou/Ph. Jougleux, Sui generis database right in quest of an application, legalis.net, septembre 2001, n° 3, p. 85 - 93 (in French).
- The originality criterion in European intellectual property law. (in Greek), June 2001, Armenopoulos Law Review, p. 755-770.
Personal Website: http://www.tatianasinodinou.eu