At the end of 2004, the Senate of the University of Cyprus approved a suggestion (in Greek) for the adoption of a general policy for the active promotion of e-Learning at UCY.
KE.DI.MA. will assume an active role in incorporating eLearning by organising workshops and demonstrations on how suggested eLearning tools may be used (WebCT, Moodle, Lotus LearningSpace), from a technical and didactical point of view. Similar workshops will also be offered to students.
Individual assistance is also offered to instructors who want to enrich their teaching, via e-Learning. The Centre will help instructors develop & teach courses using e-Learning tools.
This webpage is updated frequently and further information is posted closer to the date of each event.
10th Orientation & Induction Programme for new teaching staff 2019-20 & workshops for teaching staff
Please note that this an indicative-preliminary programme and has not been finalised. The final programme will be sent to all staff.
Watch often this website for updates and how to register.
1st Day - Wednesday 28 August 2019: Room 018 (ground floor), Social Facilities Centre-07 (ΚΟΔ07), UCY Campus.
||Registrations and coffee – meet the trainer: Dr. Lisa Hayes, Academic Developer, Plymouth University, UK.
||Session 1 – Introduction to teaching for new academic staff
- A – Learning Theories & Teaching Approaches: This session will enable participants to consider and discuss a range of learning theories (including behaviourist, cognitive and constructivist, social and situated, Humanistic and self). The session will then lead on to presenting practical strategies that teachers can use in class to support these learning theories (active learning, group work, snowball, case studies).
- B – Developing Lessons and Schemes of Work: This session will present the principles of constructive alignment and allow the participants to access tools to use when planning a session, or series of sessions.
- C – Presentation Skills: This session will introduce the 7 Steps to Perfect Presentations, and will involve a short micro-presentation from each participant to a small group of peers, with constructive feedback
||Session 2 – Using Technology to support Learning
- A – Student Response Systems – using automated response tools to support student engagement (Turning Point, Mentimeter)
- B – Flipping the Classroom – theories of flipped learning and ideas for approaches and strategies using technology that support a flipped approach
- C – Using a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) effectively, principles and examples of best practice in using a VLE to support student learning
||IT Tools & Services - (IT Infrastructure Service)
- Email, VPN, Wireless, purchases process, use of IT equipment for teaching, IT labs
2nd Day - Thursday 29 August 2019: Room 018 (ground floor), Social Facilities Centre-07 (ΚΟΔ07), UCY Campus.
Academic staff manual (Human Resources Services)
- Tenure track
- Research grants, initial funding
- Medical coverage
Professional development (Prof. Phoevos Panagiotidis, Chair Dept. of English Studies)
- Service balancing
- Academic advisors
Continuous student assessment (Prof. Christos Xenophontos, Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics)
- Student evaluation: case studies, papers, examinations
Visits to Departments
- Getting to know the Department, introduction to colleagues
- Process for creating new courses
3rd day -Friday 30 August 2019:
||Filing system ERMIS (Information Applications Service)
||Introduction to Blackboard (Information Applications Service)
||Learning Resource Centre "Stelios Ioannou", Library services and guided tour
||Mental Health Centre (Department of Psychololgy)
Workshops for instuctors, Fall Semester 2019-2020-open to all teaching staff:
4 September 2019
|Office 365 tools (IT Infrastructure Service)
11 September 2019
|Advanced level for Blackboard (Information Applications Service)
18 September 2019
Libraby tools for teaching staff:
Part Α: Resources and subscriptions.
Part Β: Research tools (Scopus, Web of Science, Google Scholar)
Academic year 2018-19:
(1) Workshops for Blackboard:
(a) 19 September 2018 - Presentations/case studies: Use of Blackboard tools by instructors
(b) 26 September 2018 - Blackboard: Introductory level
(2) 6th & 7th November 2018
Session 1-Coaching & mentoring to support learning
- Detailed programme
of the two-day workshop that will cover the following topics:
Session 2-Effective peer review to support enhancement
Session 3-Using Team Based Learning to enhance student engagement
Facilitator: Dr. Lisa Hayes, Academic Developer, Plymouth University, UK.
Room 018 (Ground Floor), Social Facilities Centre-07 (ΚΟΔ07), UCY Campus.
(3) 16th January 2019 - Presentation of UCY Library services for teaching staff (in Greek)
Location: Learning Resource Centre "Stelios Ioannou"
Academic year 2010-11:
Within the context of the Orientation Programme for instructors for the academic year 2010-11 on the 22 & 23 September the seminar "E-Learning by Design" was organised.
The seminar was presented by Richard Pinet, Manager, Centre for e-Learning, University of Ottawa, Canada.
You can download the presentations and handouts for "E-Learning by Design" here
at our site.