Department of Economics
FEB 02 - Faculty of Economics and Management, 113 FEB02
He holds a BA in Economics (1980) and a MA in Economic Statistics and Econometrics (1982) from the Athens University of Economics and Business and a PhD in Economics (1987) from the State University of New York at Buffalo. He has worked as Assistant Professor of Economics (1987-93) and Associate Professor of Economics (1993-95) at the University of Connecticut. From 1993-99 he is at the University of Cyprus as Associate Professor and from 1999-present is a Professor. He served as a Chairman at the Department of Economics from 1997-2002 and from 2006-2012, member of the University Senate from 1997-2002, from 2007-2011 and from 2015-17 . He was a Co-Editor of the Ekonomia from 2000-2015 and is Member of the Editorial Council of the Review of Development Economics. He is a Research Associate of the Center of Economic Studies & Ifo Institute for Economic Research (CESifo), Germany. He was a member of the Council of Cyprus State Scholarship Foundation from 2003-2013.
Teaching: ECO 111 - Introduction to Microeconomics
ECO 305 - International Trade
ECO 306 - International Finance
ECO 316 - Economics of the European Union
ECO 397 - Research Methods in Economics I
ECO 497 - Research Methods in Economics II
ECO 605 - International Trade
MBE 5205 - Global Economic Issues.
International Trade, Public Economics, International Factor Mobility, Migration, Trade and Factor Tax Policies, Indirect Tax Reforms, Economics of Foreign Aid, and Trade and Environment.
1. Nikos Tsakiris, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Michael S. Michael, "Strategic Capital Taxation, Tradable Emission Permits, and Global Pollution" forthcoming, Canadian Journal of Economics.
2. Panagiotis Karavitis and Michael S. Michael, 2022, “International financial integration in the presence of an international duopoly”, The European Journal of Finance, 28 (8), 825-847.
3. Fabio Antoniou, Panos Hatzipanayotou, Michael S. Michael and Nikos Tsakiris, 2022, “Tax Competition in the Presence of Environmental Spillovers”, International Tax and Public Finance, 29, 600-626.
4. Nikos Tsakiris, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Michael S. Michael, 2019, ”Border Tax Adjustments and Tariff-Tax Reforms with Consumption Pollution”, Journal of Public Economic Theory, 21 (6), pp. 1107 - 1125.
5. Slobodan Djajic, Frederic Docquier and Michael S, Michael, (2019), “Optimal Education Policy and Human Capital Accumulation in the Context of Brain Drain”, Journal of Demographic Economics 85, pp. 271-303.
6. Nikos Tsakiris, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Michael S. Michael, (2019), “Vertical Fiscal Externalities and Federal Tax-Transfers under Variable Factor Supplies”, CESifo Economic Studies 65 (3), 296-317.
7. Nikos Tsakiris, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Michael S. Michael, 2018, “The Efficiency of Decentralized Environmental Policies under Global Pollution and Tradable Emission Permits”, Journal of Public Economic Theory 20 (4). pp. 541-556.
8. Nikos Tsakiris, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Michael S. Michael, 2017, "Welfare Ranking of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Capital Mobility and Cross-border Pollution", Southern Economic Journal 84 (1), pp. 317-336.
9. Slobodan Djajic and Michael S. Michael, (2016),"Illegal Immigration, Foreign Aid and the Transit Countries" CESifo Economic Studies 62, (3), pp. 572-593.
10. Michael S. Michael and Panos Hatzipanayotou, 2013, "Pollution and Reforms of Domestic and Trade Taxes towards Uniformity", International Tax and Public Finance 20, 753-768.
11. Hadjiyiannis Costas, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Michael S. Michael, (2013) "Competition for Environmental Aid and Aid Fungibility", Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 65, 1-11.
12. Djajic Slobodan, Michael S. Michael and Alexandra Vinogradova (2012), "Migration of skilled workers: Policy interaction between host and source countries," Journal of Public Economics 96, 1015-1024.
13. Hadjiyiannis Costas, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Michael S. Michael (2009), "Public Pollution Abatement, Regional Capital Mobility and Tax Competition," Southern Economic Journal 75(3), 703-719.
14. Hatzipanayotou Panos, Sajal Lahiri and Michael S. Michael (2005), "Reforms of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Cross-border Pollution and Public-private Clean-up", The Scandinavian Journal of Economics 107 (2) pp. 315-333.
15. Michael S. Michael (2003), "International Migration, Income Taxes and Transfers: a Welfare Analysis", Journal of Development Economics Vol.72, pp 401-411.
16. Hatzipanayotou Panos, Sajal Lahiri and Michael S. Michael (2002), "Can Cross1. Nikos Tsakiris, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Michael S. Michael, 2017, "Welfare Ranking of Environmental Policies in the Presence of Capital Mobility and Cross-border Pollution", Southern Economic Journal, 84 (1), pp. 317-336.-Border Pollution Reduce Pollution?", Canadian Journal of Economics, 35 (4), pp 805-818.
17.. Michael S. Michael, Panos Hatzipanayotou and Stephen M. Miller (1993), "Integrated Reforms of Tariffs and Consumption Taxes", Journal of Public Economics, Vol.52, No.1, pp.417-428.