Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Green Park, 404
91, Aglantzias Ave.
Dr. Georgios Ellinas holds a B.S. (Academic Honors with Distinction 1991), M.Sc. (1993), M.Phil. (1995), and a Ph.D. (1998) in Electrical Engineering from Columbia University, where he received the Eliahu Jury Award for "outstanding achievement in communications or signal processing" during his PhD studies. Dr. Ellinas is currently a Professor (and past Chair 2014-2020) of the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Cyprus. Prior to joining the University of Cyprus Dr. Ellinas was an Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering at City College of the City University of New York (2002-2005). Before joining the academia, Dr. Ellinas was a Senior Network Architect at Tellium Inc (2000-2002). In this role, he worked on lightpath provisioning and fault restoration algorithms in optical mesh networks, and the architecture design of the MEMS-based all-optical switch. Dr. Ellinas also served as a Research Scientist/Senior Research Scientist in Telcordia Technologies' (formerly Bell Communications Research (Bellcore)) Optical Networking Research Group, where he performed research for the DARPA-funded Optical Networks Technology Consortium (ONTC), Multiwavelength Optical Networking (MONET) and Next Generation Internet (NGI) projects from 1993 to 2000. Dr. Ellinas also served as an Adjunct Assistant Professor at Columbia University and the University of Maryland Baltimore County, teaching courses on multiwavelength optical networking in 1999 and 2000, respectively. He was awarded a scholarship by the Cyprus-America Scholarship Program, through USAID/USIA (co-managed by AMIDEAST and the Cyprus Fullbright Commission) for undergraduate studies at the Department of Electrical Engineering, Columbia University (1987-1991), where he received the following awards: Armstrong Memorial Award of Excellence for superb academic record (1991), William L. Everitt Award of Excellence in the field of Telecommunications (1991), Jacob Millman Graduate Teaching Assistant Award (1993), Eliahu I. Jury Award (1998), and a PhD scholarship from Bell Communications Research (1996). He has co-authored two books on optical networks (J. Wiley 2007, Cambridge University Press 2008), he is the co-editor of another two books on optical networks (Springer 2011, Springer 2017), he has co-authored 19 book chapters and more than 305 journal and conference papers, and he is the holder of 30 patents on optical networking. He was also awarded a best project/paper award at the 1996 OPNET competition for a project using OPNET as the simulator platform, a best poster award at ONDM'2013, and best conference paper awards at CRITIS'2013, ICT-DM'2015, ISCC'2015, ONDM'2017, ITSC'2020, CAMAD'2022, and ICT-DM'2023. He is a Fellow of the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), the Optical Society of America (OSA), and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), and a Member of the Marie Curie Fellows Association (MCFA). His research interests are on optical networks, IoT, intelligent transportation systems, security of cyber-physical systems, and unmanned aerial systems.
Optical architectures, routing and wavelength assignment algorithms (physical-logical layer integration, point-to-point, multicast, and groupcast), fault protection/restoration techniques in arbitrary mesh optical networks, security in optical networks, traffic grooming, complex networks, optical access networks (EPONs, WDM-PONs, and converged optical-wireless), critical infrastructure systems, intelligent transportation networks, unmanned aerial systems, security of cyber-physical systems, and IoT.
- T.E. Stern, G. Ellinas, and K. Bala, Multiwavelength Optical Networks: Architectures, Design, and Control, Cambridge University Press, Dec. 2008.
- E. Bouillet, G. Ellinas, J.-F. Labourdette, and R. Ramamurthy, Path Routing in Mesh Optical Networks, J. Wiley & Sons, Oct. 2007
- N. Antoniades, G. Ellinas, and I. Roudas (Editors), WDM Systems and Networks: Modeling, Simulation, Design, and Engineering, Springer, December 2011.
- Μ. Tornatore, G-K. Chang, and G. Ellinas (Editors), Fiber-Wireless Convergence in Next-Generation Communication Networks: Systems, Architectures, and Management, Springer, 1st Edition, ISBN: 978-3-319-42820-8 , 2017.
- G. Ellinas, T. Stern, and A. Hailemariam, “Protection Cycles in WDM Mesh Networks”, IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, Special Issue on WDM Optical Networks, 18(10):1924-1937, October 2000.
- G. Ellinas, et al., “Routing and Restoration Architectures in Mesh Optical Networks”, SPIE Optical Networks Magazine, 4(1):91-106, January/February 2003.
- G. Ellinas, et al., “Multicast Routing Algorithms Based on Q-Factor Physical-Layer Constraints in Metro Networks”, IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, 21(6):365 – 367, March 2009.
- G. Ellinas and A. Hailemariam, “Planar-Subgraph and Eulerian-Based Techniques for Ring-Covers in Mesh Optical Networks”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, 9(1):1-17, May 2009.
- T. Rahman, G. Ellinas, and M. Ali, “Lightpath and Light-Tree Based Groupcast in Mesh Optical Networks”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking, Special Issue on Optical Networks for the Future Internet, 1(2):A44–A55, July 2009.
- G. Ellinas, et al., “Network Control and Management Challenges in Networks Utilizing Transparent Optical Switches”, IEEE Communications Magazine, 42(2):S16-S24, February 2004.
- B. Meagher, G.-K Chang, G. Ellinas et al., “Design and Implementation of Ultra-Low Latency Optical Label Switching for Packet-Switched WDM Networks”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology, Special Issue on Optical Networks, 18(12):1978-1987, December 2000.
- G.-K. Chang, G. Ellinas, J. Gamelin, and M. Z. Iqbal, “Multiwavelength Reconfigurable WDM/SONET/ATM Network Testbed”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology/IEEE Journal of Selected Areas in Communications, Combined Special Issue on Multiwavelength Networks, 14(6):1320-1340, June 1996.
- G. Ellinas, K. Bala, and C. Yu “Towards Hitless Reconfiguration in Data-centric Networks”, chapter in the book titled “Optical WDM Networks: Principles and Practice”, L. Ruan and D-Z. Du (Editors), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000.
- G. Ellinas and K. Bala “Wavelength Assignment Algorithms for WDM Ring Architectures”, chapter in the book titled “Advances in Optical Networks”, K. Sivalingam and S. Subramaniam (Editors), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2001.
- P. Kolios, C. Panayiotou, G. Ellinas, and M. Polycarpou, “Data-Driven Event Triggering for IoT Applications”, IEEE Internet of Things Journal (IoT-J), 3(6):1146-1158, December 2016.
- T. Panayiotou, S. Chatzis, and G. Ellinas, “Performance Analysis of a Data-Driven Quality-of-Transmission Decision Approach on a Dynamic Multicast-Capable Metro Optical Network”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), 9(1):98-108, January 2017.
- K. Manousakis and G. Ellinas, “Crosstalk-aware Routing Spectrum Assignment and WSS Placement in Flexible Grid Optical Networks”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology (JLT), 35(9):1477-1489, May 2017.
- Τ. Panayiotou, S.P. Chatzis, and G. Ellinas, “Leveraging Statistical Machine Learning to Address Failure Localization in Optical Networks”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), 10(3):162-173, March 2018.
- T. Panayiotou, K. Manousakis, S. Chatzis, and G. Ellinas, “A Data-Driven Bandwidth Allocation Framework with QoS Considerations for EONs”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology (JLT), 37(9):1853-1864, May 2019.
- G. Savva, K. Manousakis, and G. Ellinas, “Eavesdropping-aware Routing and Spectrum/Code Allocation in OFDM-based EONs using Spread Spectrum Techniques”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), 11(7):409-421, July 2019 (Highlighted as IEEE/OSA JOCN Editor’s Pick).
- P. Kolios, G. Ellinas, and C. Panayiotou, “Cyber-Physical Interplay for Data Offloading in Vehicular Networks”, IEEE Networking Letters (NL), 2(2):54-57, June 2020.
- T. Panayiotou, G. Savva, I. Tomkos, and G. Ellinas, “Decentralizing Machine-learning-based QoT Estimation for Sliceable Optical Networks”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), 12(7):146-162, July 2020.
- T. Panayiotou and G. Ellinas, “Optimal and Near-Optimal Alpha-Fair Resource Allocation Algorithms based on Traffic Demand Predictions for Optical Network Planning”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Optical Communications and Networking (JOCN), vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 1-16, March 2021.
- M. Michalopoulou, P. Kolios, C. Panayiotou, and G. Ellinas, “Optimizing Event-triggered Vehicles’ Tracking Accuracies taking into Account Information Aging”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles (T-IV), pp.1-13, August 2021 (DOI: 10.1109/TIV.2021.3108643).
- N. Souli, P. Kolios, and G. Ellinas, “Online Relative Positioning of Autonomous Systems using Signals of Opportunity”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles (T-IV), pp.1-13, November 2021 (DOI: 10.1109/TIV.2021.3124727).
- G. Savva, T. Panayiotou, I. Tomkos, and G. Ellinas, “Deep Graph Learning for QoT Estimation of Unseen Optical Sub-Network States: Capturing the Crosstalk Impact on the In-Service Lightpaths”, IEEE/OSA Journal of Lightwave Technology (JLT), 40(4):921-934, February 2022 (DOI: 10.1109/JLT.2021.3129646).
- H. Maryam, T. Panayiotou, and G. Ellinas, “Learning Quantile QoT Models to Address Uncertainty over Unseen Lightpaths”, Computer Networks, vol. 212, no. 108992, pp. 1-10, April 2022 (DOI: 10.1016/j.comnet.2022.108992).
- P. Valianti, P. Kolios and G. Ellinas, “Energy-Aware Tracking and Jamming Rogue UAVs Using a Swarm of Pursuer UAV Agents”, IEEE Systems, pp.1-12, June 2022 (DOI: 10.1109/JSYST.2022.3179632).
- E.S. Rigas, P. Kolios, M. Mavrovouniotis, and G. Ellinas, “Scheduling a Fleet of Drones to Perform Monitoring Missions with Spatial, Temporal, and Energy Constraints”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems (T-ITS), vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 15133-15145, September 2022 (DOI: 10.1109/TITS.2021.3137359).
- S. Papaioannou, P. Kolios, and G. Ellinas, “Distributed Estimation and Control for Jamming an Aerial Target with Multiple Agents”, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC), pp. 1-15, September 2022 (DOI: 10.1109/TMC.2022.3207589).
- C. Vitale, S. Papaioannou, P. Kolios, and G. Ellinas, “Autonomous 4D Trajectory Planning for Dynamic and Flexible Air Traffic Management”, Journal of Intelligent & Robotic Systems (JINT), vol. 106, no. 1 (article no. 11), pp. 1-15, September 2022 (DOI: 10.1007/s10846-022-01715-z).
- P. Valianti, S. Papaioannou, P. Kolios, and G. Ellinas “Multi-Agent Coordinated Close-in Jamming for Disabling a Rogue Drone”, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing (TMC), vol. 21, no. 10, pp. 3700-3717, October 2022 (DOI: 10.1109/TMC.2021.3062225).
- C. Vitale, P. Kolios, and G. Ellinas “Autonomous Intersection Crossing with Vehicle Location Uncertainty”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems (T-ITS), vol. 23, no. 10, pp. 17546-17561, October 2022 (DOI: 10.1109/TITS.2022.3152006).