(+357) 22 892239
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Green Park, 401
91, Aglantzias Ave.
Stelios Timotheou is an Associate Professor at the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering and a faculty member at the KIOS Research and Innovation Center of Excellence, of the University of Cyprus.
He holds a Dipl-Ing in Electrical and Computer Engineering (Summa Cum Laude, 2005) from the National Technical University of Athens, an MSc in Communications and Signal Processing (Distinction, 2006) and a PhD in Intelligent Systems and Networks (2010), from the Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering of Imperial College London.
His research focuses on analyzing data and making informed decisions in challenging environments, with the purpose of enhancing efficiency and delivering new capabilities in situational awareness and decision making. Towards this direction, he develops customised, real-time, distributed and cooperative methodologies and algorithms, drawing on theory from mathematical optimization, machine learning, statistical data processing and computational intelligence. His research is applied in monitoring and control of Critical Infrastructure Systems that are essential for the functioning of national societies and economies such as Intelligent Transportation Systems, Future Power Systems, Wireless Communications, Smart Water Networks, and Emergency Response.
His work has been funded by several research grants, including a prestigious European Research Council (ERC) Consolidator Grant (ERC-2022-COG) / PE7 (Systems and Communications Engineering), for his project "Real-Time Urban Mobility Management via Intelligent UAV-based Sensing" (URANUS). He received the ‘Cyprus Research Award – Young Researcher in Physical Sciences & Engineering’ by the Cyprus Research and Innovation Foundation (2017).
Optimization; Machine Learning; Fault Diagnosis; Monitoring and Control; Critical Infrastructure Systems; Intelligent Transportation Systems; Connected and Automated Vehicles; Future Power Systems; Wireless Communications; Smart Water Networks.
- A. Hadjigeorgiou, and S. Timotheou, “Real-time optimization of fuel-consumption and travel-time of CAVs for cooperative intersection crossing,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Vehicles, vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 313-329, 2023.
- C. Menelaou, S. Timotheou, P. Kolios and C. G. Panayiotou, “Joint route guidance and demand management for real-time control of multi-regional traffic networks,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 13, no. 7, pp. 8302-8315, 2022.
- L. Tziovani, L. Hadjidemetriou, C. Charalampous, M. Tziakouri, S. Timotheou and E. Kyriakides, “Energy Management and Control of a Flywheel Storage System for Peak Shaving Applications”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, vol. 12, no. 5, pp. 4195-4207, 2021.
- S. Vrachimis, S. Timotheou, D. Eliades and M. Polycarpou, “Leakage Detection and Localization in Water Distribution Systems: A Model Invalidation Approach,” Control Engineering Practice, vol. 110, pp. 104755-1–13, 2021.
- D. Stavrou, S. Timotheou, C. G. Panayiotou, and M. M. Polycarpou, “Optimizing container loading with autonomous robots,” IEEE Transactions on Automation Science and Engineering, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 717--731, 2018.
- C. Menelaou, P. Kolios, S. Timotheou, C. G. Panayiotou, and M. Polycarpou, “Controlling road congestion via a low-complexity route reservation approach,” Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, vol. 81, pp. 118--136, 2017.
- A. Kyriacou, S. Timotheou, M. P. Michaelides, C. Panayiotou, and M. Polycarpou, “Partitioning of intelligent buildings for distributed contaminant detection and isolation,” IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computational Intelligence, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 72--86, 2017.
- S. Timotheou and I. Krikidis, “Fairness for non-orthogonal multiple access in 5G systems,” IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 22, no. 10, pp. 1647--1651, 2015.
- S. Timotheou, C. G. Panayiotou, and M. M. Polycarpou, “Distributed traffic signal control using the cell transmission model via the alternating direction method of multipliers,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 919--933, 2015.
- I. Krikidis, S. Timotheou, S. Nikolaou, G. Zheng, D. W. K. Ng, and R. Schober, “Simultaneous wireless information and power transfer in modern communication systems,” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 52, no. 11, pp. 104--110, 2014.