On this page you can find information regarding our Undergraduate Study Programmes. More details are available in the Undergraduate Prospectus.
The Department of Economics offers two undergraduate study programmes:
The Degree in Economics is a standard economics program, similar to those offered by many international universities. It provides a solid background in economics that prepares students who wish either to continue their studies in economics or to specialize in disciplines such as accounting, finance, administration, etc.
The Degree in Mathematics and Economics is an interdisciplinary program offered in collaboration with the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. Its graduates are particularly attractive in sectors that require very good mathematical and analytical skills, such as finance, actuarial and risk management.
The Department of Economics also offers the opportunity to students of other departments of the University of Cyprus to study Economics as a Minor Degree:
|Why study economics?|
What is Economics?
It is a social science. It studies the way human societies organize economic activity. It deals with questions such as:
- Why are some countries rich and others poor?
- When do firms compete with each other and when do they collude?
- What are the effects of international trade?
- How are prices determined in markets?
- How does electoral competition affect economic policies?
- What are the causes of economic crises and how can we prevent them?
- Why do we find wage differences for equally qualified workers (e.g. man and women)?
- What are the positive and negative impacts of globalization?
Some fields of study offer a general education and allow you to specialize later (e.g. mathematics). Others offer you some professional qualification directly (e.g. accounting). Economics lies somewhere in between: it gives you some professional direction and at the same time is broad enough to keep several options open for the future.
Graduates with an economics degree
- May work as economists in research organizations, government agencies, or large companies in need of economic analysts.
- May become accountants/auditors - currently, most partners in large audit firms have a degree in economics.
- May specialize their studies in finance, banking, marketing, management, etc.
- May expand in fields like environmental management, energy policy, international relations, politics, diplomacy, etc.
Why study in the Department of Economics of the University of Cyprus?
The faculty in the Department of Economics is made up by qualified academic personnel, which are PhD graduates from some of the world's best universities. The Department's academics research is published in the top journals of their respective fields. Teaching is assisted by highly qualified scientists with valuable professional experience.
The Department has received very positive assessments of its study programmes and research from external evaluators. It ranks among the top 200 economics departments worldwide and is one of the best greek-speaking ones.
Through its openness and international orientation, the Department is able to stay in tune with world developments, ensuring a continuous adaptation and maintaining its programmes high quality. At the same time, it is strongly connected with the Cypriot society and local industry through its research activities, providing input in the forming of economic policy, participating in corporate governance and expert committees and other outreach activities.
- Are accepted as students (MA, MSc, MBA, PhD) in some of the best universities in the USA, UK and elsewhere.
- Gain solid foundations that give them the opportunity to specialize in their preferred fields.
Economics is a broad field that offers the basis for a wide variety of professional paths. Among others, you may find graduates of the Department of Economics working in:
- Universities and academic institutions in Cyprus and abroad.
- Research centers and economic policy making bodies.
- Government agencies and local authorities.
- European organizations in the fields of economics, development and international relations.
- Audit and accounting firms.
- Banks, financial services and risk analysis and management firms.
- Companies dealing with environmental management, the maritime and energy sector.
|Which Programme is right for me?|
The Degree in Economics is a standard economics program, similar to those offered by many international universities. It provides a solid background in economics that prepares students who wish either to continue their studies in economics or to specialize in disciplines such as accounting, finance, administration, etc.The Degree in Mathematics and Economics is an interdisciplinary program offered in collaboration with the Department of Mathematics and Statistics. Its graduates are particularly attractive in sectors that require very good mathematical and analytical skills, such as finance, actuarial and risk management.