Research interests of faculty members fall into three main areas of study, which are organized as separate sections in the Department:
2) Theoretical and Applied Linguistics
3) Translation Studies
Research activities of faculty members in the area of Anglophone Literature and Cultural Studies include theatre studies (especially the work of William Shakespeare, comparative European theatre and melodrama), critical and cultural theory, postcolonial and postmodern literature, 18th and 19th century fiction, continental philosophy, psychoanalysis, feminist studies, American studies, and literary translation in a comparative literature context. Members of staff are involved in the foloowing projects:
- in the Institute for World Literature at Harvard University.
- “MUTE – Soundscapes of Trauma: Music, Sound and the Ethics of Witnessing,” ERC Consolidator Grant, hosted by the Department of English Studies, University of Cyprus. Coordinated by Dr Anna Papaeti, in collaboration with Dr Maria Margaroni as UCY Collaborator. Project duration: 2020-2025, budget: 1.899,587.50.
- 'MIGDISCY- Migration, Discourse, Cyprus' (UCY Internal Research Project, since 9/2021)
- 'Heritage Language Maintenance, Variation, and Change: A Study of (Pre)-School-Age Russian–Cypriot Greek Bilingual (Bilectal) Children in Cyprus' (UCY Internal Research Project, since 4/2021)
- Cost Action CA18123 "The European Family Support Network. A bottom-up, evidence-based and multidisciplinary approach" (ESF, 2019-2023) https://www.cost.eu/actions/CA18123/#tabs|Name:overview
- Cost Action CA16105 "European Network for Combining Language Learning with Crowdsourcing Techniques" (ESF, 2017-2021) http://www.cost.eu/COST_Actions/ca/CA16105
- ΔΙΔΑΚΤΩΡ Post-Doctoral Researchers Project 'Language Variation and Attitudes (LaVA): A Sociolinguistic Analysis of the Linguistic Performance and Attitudes of Greek Cypriots in Nicosia, Cyprus’ (POST-DOC/0718/0022, since 9/2019)
- 'The Gradience of Lingualities (GoL): Language Acquisition in Minority Contexts, Incomplete Linguistic Competence and Theoretical Modeling in Heritage Speakers, and Vernacular Varieties' (UCY Internal Research Projects, since 6/2019)
- A Cross-Linguistic Investigation of Acceptability Judgment Variation' (Leventis Foundation 3411-61041, 2017–2019)
- the Pearson External Research Program 'Investigation of linguistic parameters accounting for progress in proficiency on the GSE' 2017 (GSE-3411-61040)
- the Erasmus+ "Promoting authentic language acquisition in multilingual contexts", Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices, Strategic Partnerships for school education (EU-Lifelong Learning Programmes 2015-1-AT01-KA201-005060, 2015–18). For more information, please click here.
- the Erasmus+ "Teachers' Assessment Literacy Enhancement (TALE)", Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices, Strategic Partnerships for school education (EU-Lifelong Learning Programmes 2015-1-CY01-KA201-011863, 2015–18). For more information, please click here.
- the TOEFL Young Students Research Program 2015, "An Investigation of the Reading and Test-Taking Strategies for the TOEFL Junior Standard Reading Test: Evidence from Retrospective Think-Aloud Protocols" (Educational Testing Service (ETS), USA, 2014–15)
- the Marie Curie CIG for the CGDS Morphosyntax Project on "The Development of Cypriot Greek in Individuals with Down Syndrome: Their Morphosyntactic profile, and the effects of Phonetics and Phonology" (FP7/2007-2013/, 2012–15)
- the Research Project "Adaptation of the MacArthur-Bates CDI for Cypriot Greek: Development in Toddlers" (Leventis Foundation, 2014–16, jointly with members of the Translation Studies Section)
- the CySLI Project on "Early Identification and Assessment of Preschool Children with Specific Language Impairment in Cyprus" (RPF, 2011–12)
- the CYCLIA Project on "L1 Acquisition of Cypriot Greek Pronominal Clitics" (RPF, 2010–12)
- the Gen-CHILD Project on "Generative Childhood-Holistic Investigations of Language Development" (UCY, 2010–12)
- the BiSLI Action, COST Action IS0804 "Language Impairment in a Multilingual Society" (ESF, 2009–13)
- Small Size Research Project "The Past, Present, and Future of Minimalist Investigations" (UCY, 2007–09)
- COST Action A33 "Cross-Linguistically Robust Stages of Children's Linguistic Performance" (ESF, 2006–10)
- Corpus-Assisted Drama Translation Research: Shakespeare In Translation – ShakeIT (UCY Internal Research Project, 2021-2023)
- ERASMUS+ project Towards a European framework of reference for translation, coordinated by the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona: https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/erasmus-plus/projects/eplus-project-details/#project/2020-1-ES01-KA203-082579
- COST Action CA19102: Language in the human-machine era (LITHME) www.lithme.eu & https://www.cost.eu/actions/CA19102
- Adaptation of the MacArthur-Bates CDI for Cypriot Greek (Leventis Foundation, 2014-16)
- EU-Lifelong-Learning Program "EVIVA - Evaluating the Education of Interpreters and their Clients through Virtual Learning Activities" (European Commission, 2013-14, Project 531140-LLP-1-2012-1-UK-KA3-KA3MP, 2013-14)
- EU-Lifelong Learning Program "IVY - Interpreting in Virtual Reality" (European Comission, 2011–13)
- Internal Research Project "ARGUE" (UCY, 2010–12)