The Research Centre for Sustainable Energy (RCSE) was created in order to play a key role in research and technological development activities in the field of sustainable energy within Cyprus and at international level with the aim of contributing to the achievement of the relevant energy and environment objectives set out by Europe. In particular, the RCSE strives to become a centre of excellence in energy that will act as a structure where world-standard R&D work can be performed, in terms of measurable scientific production (including training) and/or technological innovation. The selected thematic priorities include:
- Renewable energy sources (RES) with an emphasis on solar energy
- Distributed generation and new technologies for electrical power systems
- Smart electricity networks
- Enabling technologies including energy storage and ICT, which are necessary for developing a smart grid environment
- Energy efficiency and energy saving
- Energy efficient buildings
- Energy Policy and Energy economics
- Education and awareness work on sustainable energy matters and promotion of active involvement of consumers in local energy production using RES
In the RCSE significant research expertise from the University of Cyprus as well as from industry has been assembled that spans a host of fields: Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Environmental, Chemical engineering, to Physics, Chemistry, Economics, Finance, as well as Architecture. The RCES team aims, with the development of the necessary synergies, to create the impetus for the advancement of the field of energy. Members of the Centre represent Cyprus in European Energy Committees such as the Energy Committee for the FP7, the SET Plan, the European Standards Committees on PV and the EU PV Mirror Group. Furthermore, the RCSE staff act as expert evaluators for predominantly Energy Proposals within the FP7 and other National initiatives. Furthermore, the researchers comprising the working team have extensive experience in grant proposal applications and have acquired funding for a range of research topics through the EU, the National Research Funding Agency in Cyprus as well as industry.
Site under construction...