Where can you apply for a tourist visa for Cyprus?

Tourist Visas are issued by all the Diplomatic Missions (Embassies and General Consulates) and all the Honorary Consulates of the Republic of Cyprus abroad in their respective countries. They can be extended for a maximum period of 3 months. Visas with the term FINAL can only be extended by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs when special reasons exist (e.g. humanitarian reasons, holders of property in Cyprus etc).

In the case where foreigners from third countries receive visas from a consular authority of Cyprus and their aim is to achieve an extension in their stay, the term FINAL is not noted and the Civil Registry and Migration Department (C.R.M.D.) can accept an application “MVIS3” after the submission of all the required documents, duly certified.

What is an Asylum seeker?

This is a person who has fled his or her country of origin and is seeking recognition and protection as a refugee in the Republic of Cyprus, and whose application is still under consideration. In case of a negative decision on their application, they will need to leave the country voluntarily or face deportation.

Can a Refugee study at the University of Cyprus?

Yes, they may attend UCY. Resettled refugees are permanent residents on arrival and have all the rights of other permanent residents.

Can Refugees work in Cyprus?

According to the Cyprus Refugee Law, once you are recognised as a refugee or granted subsidiary protection, you will have immediate access to employment from the date your status is granted. There are no restrictions to working in a particular sector or occupation.

Is the entry permit visa application fee refundable?

No, visa fees once submitted to the Migration Department is non-refundable.

How do I pay my visa fees?

The payment for the entry visa fees should be made via JCC SMART, through the website  https://www.jccsmart.com/e-bill/9356296 (Application will not be processed without this non-refundable fee).

When should I start making travel arrangements?

We strongly recommend not to book your flight until you have received the Visa/Blue Slip. Before booking your flight, you should also check the latest travel policies of your own government for any restrictions about leaving (and returning to) your country. Be aware that as long as there are travel restrictions in place, the availability of flights to and from Cyprus may be limited. What is more, in order to support the containment of COVID-19 in Cyprus, all inbound passengers are required to present a ‘flight pass’ to fly prior to boarding.

Passengers, with nationality of third countries, travelling to the Republic of Cyprus from a country not included in Categories Green, Orange, Red are required to obtain beforehand a special permit as defined by the Infectious Diseases (Determination of Measures to Prevent the Spread of the COVID-19 Coronavirus) Decree (No. 9) of 2021, as amended for the time being. For more information, please visit the link https://cyprusflightpass.gov.cy/

You can find all about Covid-19 Destination Protocol on the following link https://cyprusflightpass.gov.cy/uploads/f0a3568e2Z.pdf which is updated on a weekly basis.

Where can I certify my documents in my home country for the entry permit visa purposes?

Each document has its own verification formalities hence attestation varies depending upon each certificate. Most of the countries follow the below verification process as standard procedure: Home Ministry verification / Foreign Affairs verification / Embassy Attestation and finally Ministry of Foreign Affairs Attestation from the foreign country. However, the process may vary depending on the document and the laws of the origin and destination country.

You can find more information regarding the ratification of accompanying documents on the Civil Registry and Migration Department website: http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf/All/85A693956CBA05E2C2257EA6003A7808

Can I apply for my visa even though I can’t travel to Cyprus yet?

You can apply for an entry permit visa even though you cannot travel to Cyprus yet due to the covid-19 restrictions.  This means that students/staff can travel as soon as borders re-open and it is safe to do so.

When should I apply for my entry permit visa?

You can only apply for your entry permit visa once you have been accepted to study/work at the University of Cyprus. We will then provide you with an admission/employment letter and with an email explaining you the visa procedure.

I am a third country national with a valid European permit card. Can I enter Cyprus without obtaining a visa?

If you are a Researcher you are allowed to enter Cyprus without obtaining an entry permit visa. You can enter as a tourist/visitor and when coming in Cyprus you must apply for the residence permit visa application to the Migration Department.

If you are a Student then an entry permit visa is required to enter Cyprus.

I can’t find accommodation. What should I do?

Finding accommodation in these troubled times can be difficult, but we have implemented a dedicated Housing Office to support our students/staff. Should you have any problem finding temporary or long-term accommodation, please contact http://ucy.ac.cy/housing/en/

Do EU citizens require an entry permit visa for entry to Cyprus?

EU citizens do not require a visa for entry to Cyprus, but they must carry a passport which must be valid at least until the day of departure from Cyprus, or their national identity card provided there is a photo and the citizenship is declared. The application for the issue of a Registration Certificate must be submitted by the European Union citizen and family members who are also citizens of a Member State, within four months from the date of entry into the Republic.

Can I enter Cyprus with a Schengen visa?

Cyprus is not yet a member of the Schengen area, but holders of valid dual or multiple-entry Schengen visas can enter, stay and transit in or through Cyprus for tourism purpose, without the need for an additional visa.

I am going to stay only for a short-time period. What do you suggest?

The nationals of many non-EU countries do not require a visa to enter Cyprus for a stay not exceeding three months. Details of visa-exempt countries and visa application procedures are available on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website  https://mfa.gov.cy/

What is a residence permit card/pink slip?

Cyprus temporary residence permit, the so-called Pink Slip, allows Non-European Union passport holders to extend their stay in Cyprus for more than 3 months (90 days). It will also enable tourists and visitors to extend their stay no matter what was the duration of their initial visa. They should apply before their current visa expires.

The visa guidance states I need to submit the Application Form M61 to the International Students and Staff Support Office and provide the Migration Department with my biometrics, within 10 days of arrival in Cyprus, but I need to quarantine for 14 days

You will be able to prepare your residence permit card documents and submit them to the International Students and Staff Support Office after you have completed your quarantine period. The International Students and Staff Support Office will submit your M61 application form with all the required documents to the Migration Department and when the application is evaluated you will be informed for an appointment with the Migration Department for biometrics and payment.

Can an International student work while on a study visa?

Full-time students of recognised Universities who are nationals of third countries are allowed to work in Cyprus up to 20 hours per week in specific occupations and specified sectors of economic activity. For further information you can contact the Careers Office of the University of Cyprus careers@ucy.ac.cy . For further information regarding the terms and conditions of employment, you can visit the Department of Labour’s website DEPARTMENT OF LABOUR – Terms and Conditions of Employment (mlsi.gov.cy)

If a student/staff is awaiting the outcome of their residence permit visa issuance/renewal, can they depart Cyprus?

We recommend that the student/staff remain in Cyprus while they await the outcome of their visa. If they want to travel to their home country, they can use the Receipt they have from the Migration Department. If it is mandatory to travel to another EU country, they must contact the respective country’s Embassy in Cyprus for advice.

Will I be able to travel outside of the Republic of Cyprus on my residence permit visa?

If you wish to go to another country for a study trip or holiday, you should contact that country’s embassy in Cyprus to find out if you need a visa and how to apply. However, your pink slip will be cancelled if you’re absent from Cyprus for more than 3 consecutive months.

Will there be any consequences if an International student/Researcher remains in Cyprus after their visa has expired?

YES! When a foreigner overstays the validity of their visa it is illegal. This will likely be detected when the International student/Researcher leaves Cyprus and goes through passport control to have their passport and visa checked. Once they are identified as having overstayed, they will be declared undesirable and receive a ban on re-entering Cyprus until a certain period have lapsed.

My pink slip will expire shortly. How can I renew it and when shall I apply for the renewal of my residence permit?

Pink Slip in Cyprus is valid for 1 year and can be renewed on an annual basis. You shall submit the application for renewing your residence permit at least one (1) month before the expiry of the residence permit you are holding.

How long will the examination of my application for a residence permit take?

The Cyprus Civil Registry and Migration Department is responsible for issuing residence permit cards. The examination of an application for a residence permit depends on the category of residence and the complexity of the application. According to the legislation in force applications are examined: (1) employment – within four months, (2) family reunification of a third country national – within nine months, (3) long-term residents – within twelve months, (4) students – within three months.

From where will I will receive my residence permit?

The International Students and Staff Support Office will inform you when your residence permit card is ready to collect it from them.

Can I enter Cyprus as a tourist and then transform my visa to a student’s visa?

If you enter Cyprus on a tourist visa, this cannot be changed to a study visa once you’re here. Tourist visas only allow you to legally enter and remain in Cyprus for up to 90 days.

Where is the Civil Registry and Migration Department located?

The Civil Registry and Migration Department is at Arch. Makariou Avenue, 90, 1077, Nicosia.

How can I invite a third country national to Cyprus?

When a third country national is invited in Cyprus for tourist reasons, the assumption for responsibility of hosting form is completed  and submitted along with a bank guarantee (€855 for Asian Countries, €515 for Eastern Europe Countries and €340 for Middle East Countries) and a copy of the foreigner’s passport.

Can the University help me speed up my residence permit card application?

The International Students and Staff Support Office is always in communication with the Migration Department and ready to provide assistance to all International Students and Staff, so as to minimise the processes and address any obstacles that may arise. However, the Migration Department is a governmental department and its procedures are independent of the University of Cyprus.

I am a student. Can I bring my spouse with me in Cyprus?

Unfortunately, no. According to Cyprus legislation, you cannot bring your spouse on a dependent visa if you are a student. Cyprus doesn’t allow the dependent visa for International Students.

I am a Researcher. Can I bring my spouse with me in Cyprus?

Non-EU Researchers are able to bring their family in Cyprus with them. Their spouse must grant a tourist visa from the Cyprus Embassy/General Consulate in their respective country so they will be allowed to enter Cyprus. Once they enter Cyprus they must submit their papers to the Migration Department for their residence permit visa as a Researcher’s dependants.

Where can I find the latest news about travel restrictions for international students?

Monitor the https://cyprusflightpass.gov.cy/ for any news on travel restrictions.

Also, you may wish to monitor the list of travel restrictions worldwide from the International Air Transport Association.

How do I issue the University Student’s Card?

You can find instructions for the issuance of the University Student’s card on the following link https://www.ucy.ac.cy/fmweb/documents/Announcements/INSTRUCTIONS_FOR_UNIVERSITY_STUDENTS_FOR_THE_ISSUANCE_OF_THE_UNIVERSITY_STUDENT_2016.pdf

I am a Third Country National (Non-EU citizen) student/staff of the UCY. Am I a GHS beneficiary?

Primarily, you must reside in the areas that are controlled by the Republic of Cyprus.  If you are a resident of the government-controlled areas you are a GHS beneficiary if a) you are employed, or b) you have acquired permanent residence status, or c) you have been granted refugee or supplementary protection status, or d) you are a member of the family of a beneficiary or e) you are insured in another EU Member State. For more information regarding the GHS you can contact the Cyprus Government Web Portal http://www.gesy.org.cy/

Who can I contact with further questions regarding my visa?

Students/Staff with immigration and visa-related queries can contact the International Students and Staff Support Office by email: internationalsupport@ucy.ac.cy

I don’t see my question mentioned. What should I do?

The University of Cyprus is working hard in these uncertain times to answer all relevant questions. If you have any specific questions about your visa/residence application process, that are not answered in this FAQ, please contact internationalsupport@ucy.ac.cy