Internationalisation Strategy 2021-2025
According to the vision of the University of Cyprus (UCY), as stated in its Strategic Plan 2021-2025, UCY aspires to establish itself among the best universities in the world and to become a beacon of scientific thought, ethos and creativity in the wider Euro-Mediterranean area. One of the major pillars of the Strategic Plan is the Internationalisation of UCY, which will strengthen its competitiveness and its international recognition among the top universities in the world.
UCY’s internationalisation strategy involves the following parameters:
- The development of international strategic partnerships to encourage mobility of students, staff and alumni (e.g. through the Erasmus+ Programme, participation in international networks and organizations, acquiring international work experience)
- The development of international strategic partnerships to enhance research and teaching
- The recruitment of international students in existing or new programmes of study, as well as their continuous support
- The recruitment of international faculty
- Development of international activities
- Increasing the participation of UCY students in international individual or group competitions
UCY internationalisation development and enhancement can be attained by:
Enhancing the Quality of Education
- Developing an Internationalisation at Home (I@H) Strategy.
- Enhancing UCY’s commitment to widening participation and inclusivity, through the development of the new Office for the Diversity and Inclusivity.
- Introducing the right mechanisms with regards to Quality Assurance in connection to international accreditation and recognition.
- Strengthening quality through mobility and cross-border collaboration, since by working with our partners, UCY’s knowledge and experience of other education systems and qualifications will expand, thus facilitating admission, progression, recognition, exchanges and cooperation in programme development.
- Working with UCY international students to further improve the international dimensions of teaching and learning, through their feedback.
- Developing systematically, evaluating and modernising the curricula, so as to be comparable to and competitive with other programmes of studies internationally. Effectively, creating a multicultural society through the internationalisation of the curricula.
- Expanding the opportunities for students to study or abroad as part of their programmes of study and making use of EU and other programmes, such as ERASMUS+ and ERASMUS+ International.
- Developing a “Study Abroad Programme” to encourage students to study at other universities world-wide, outside the ERASMUS+ Programme, and providing scholarships for these purposes.
- Supporting the engagement of students in international activities and international student networks/associations.
- Developing and enhancing undergraduate and postgraduate majors and minors that are international in character, such as regional studies, international studies and foreign languages.
- Providing opportunities to administrative staff to go abroad to partner universities to exchange know-how and best practices.
- Applying e-learning in teaching, through the development of infrastructure, mechanisms and programmes for open and distance learning.
- Facilitating the participation of students in international volunteering organisations/activities.
- Promoting the learning of the Greek language as a foundation course for entry for international students in Greek taught courses, using international examinations.
Enhancing the Quality of Research
- Ensuring effective communication of international funding opportunities throughout UCY, through the close collaboration between the International Relations Service and the Research and Innovation Support Service.
- Ensuring key partnerships are used to leverage increased international research funding.
- Increasing the volume of papers/articles published in high impact Journals co-authored with international partners.
- Strengthening competences and skills of the administrative staff involved in supporting the researchers in the preparation of proposals, by funding their participation in international seminars/conferences.
- Establishing joint research institutes with universities/research centres abroad.
- Encouraging students to carry out research activities in other universities/research centres, through the Erasmus+ Programme.
Enhancing the International Reputation and Visibility of UCY
- Targeting the development of international strategic partnerships and joint ventures with universities abroad, so as to offer joint programmes of study, joint courses, facilitate the exchange of students and staff etc.
- Participating actively in a number of university networks/associations.
- Activating the existing UCY partnerships and engaging in new active partnerships with institutions internationally, through the signing of Bilateral Agreements of Cooperation.
- Developing active partnerships in EU and other international projects, which will assist in strategic engagement in capacity building partnerships with target regions/countries.
- Organising international conferences/meetings locally and especially within the UCY campus.
- Having access to global business networks, which will lead to the creation of an international community within UCY.
- Promoting opportunities for staff mobility to partner institutions (within the framework of either ERASMUS+ Agreements or Agreements of Cooperation) to enhance the research and teaching profile of the University.
- Offering scholarships to international students for undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- Communicating effectively international developments in research and teaching to internal and external stakeholders.
- Maintaining a database centrally of ongoing international activities within UCY.
- Constantly communicating with Embassies and Consulates in Cyprus and abroad.
- Collaborating closely with the Cypriot and Greek Diaspora.
- Communicating constantly and engaging with key international organisations.
- Involving international alumni groups as well as emeritus academics, in celebrating and broadening the UCY profile internationally.
- Strengthening the international impact of UCY as reflected in international rankings.
- Supporting high-quality international publications for the promotion of UCY abroad.
- Using a range of communication and marketing vehicles to raise the profile of UCY in the International community.
- Maximizing the added value of staff visits to partner organisations or of their participation in conferences abroad, to showcase the research and the teaching and learning strengths of the UCY.
- Supporting the recruitment of international staff, which will align with the goal of strengthening the UCY’s ability to attract internationally competitive personnel with substantial potential to contribute creatively.
- Enhancing and developing of all internal entities involved in international relations, so as to support the strategy and interrelation with other entities etc
Preparing Students for Life and Work in an Intercultural and Globalising World
- Effective student participation in the European Universities Initiative-YUFE
- Further development of non-discrimination policies and the development of policies for the integration of refugees in UCY programmes, through the Diversity, Equality and Inclusivity Office.
- Recruiting international students, through the participation in educational fairs and visits organised by the Ministry of Education and Culture or other national authorities, chambers of commerce or networks.
- Exploring practical ways of encouraging students to study abroad within the framework of the ERASMUS+ Programme, as well as other exchange programmes (at least one semester during their studies)-Mobility Windows.
- Developing undergraduate and postgraduate programmes in foreign languages for the promotion of language learning.
- Developing new programmes of study to meet the demands of international students
- Facilitating the development of Joint Degrees with institutions abroad.
- Promoting training opportunities for outgoing staff using the ERASMUS+ Programme and other funding programmes.
- Organising Summer/Winter Schools in English locally, in cooperation with international partners.
- Life-Long Learning Programmes
- Organising summer courses in specific/niche areas relating to current trends in cooperation with international partners.
- Offering tailor-made and executive courses in English.
- Aiming at recruiting international academic and administrative staff.