The postgraduate programmes of studies of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) emphasizes fundamental principles that prepare students for leadership roles in a modern social environment, challenging and opportunities. Students undertake study and research, planning and design in an academic environment that is based on collaboration between faculty, students, industry and research groups. The students study in a dynamic environment and have the opportunity to work with research groups at the forefront of scientific interest.
The CEE Department offers the following degrees:
- Master of Engineering (MEng) and Master of Science (MSc) in Civil Engineering
- Master of Engineering (MEng) and Master of Science (MSc) in Environmental Engineering
The Department also participates in the Interdepartmental Programmes of the Faculty of Engineering offering the following postgraduate degrees:
- Master of Science (MSc) and Master of Engineering (MEng) in Energy Technologies and Sustainable Design
- Master of Science (MSc) in the Conservation and Restoration of Historic Buildings and Sites
- Master of Science (MSc) in Natural Gas in Energy Transition
The mission of the postgraduate programs in the CEE Department is to promote scholarly research leading to discovery, learning and innovation according to international standards of excellence, in the broader discipline of CEE, as well as in related multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary fields. The Department’s postgraduate programs are research-oriented in order to support and strengthen the research and educational activities of the Department and the University. The research focuses in areas that serve the interests of the society in Cyprus, by identifying and providing solutions to local issues and by promoting opportunities for local development and for the improvement of life in Cyprus.
The CEE Department admits students into the Master of Engineering (MEng), Master of Science (MSc) and Doctoral (PhD) programmes. A transfer between the two Master’s academic tracks (MSc and MEng) is allowed only after the application by the student and approval by the Department’s Faculty Council. The Department reserves the right, following the suggestion by the student’s academic advisor, to transfer the student between the two academic tracks (from MSc to MEng) should the student’s academic performance during the required MSc research/thesis proves unsatisfactory.
Please, note that, from September 2023, the graduate programs of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department (teaching, educational material, dissertations, projects, etc.) will be offered in the English Language for all enrolled students (regardless of their enrolment year and specialization).
For more information, please consult the Postgraduate Studies Guide.
Μaster of Engineering (ΜΕng) – 90 ECTS
The development of skills through acquiring knowledge from a wide range of courses is particularly emphasized. Of all required ECTS units in this program, the 80 ECTS units should be obtained from the successful completion of 10 postgraduate-level courses of the CEE Department.
Master of Science (ΜSc) – 110 ECTS
Particular emphasis is given on developing a proper research methodology through pursuing a postgraduate thesis with documented contribution to the advancement of science. Of all required educational ECTS credits in the program, 56 should be obtained from successfully completing 7 postgraduate-level courses, while the rest of the credits are associated with the MSc thesis. Students are encouraged to publish their research results in journals and peer reviewed international conference proceedings.
Both the private sector and the public services in Cyprus offer a variety of professional opportunities for civil and environmental engineers. Graduates can pursue careers in design, construction, maintenance, building management and infrastructure, as well as research and development, such as:
- In the private sector and the wider public sector as designers, construction engineers, engineering consultants.
- In government departments and services of the local government that are active in the fields of environment, water, energy, air and emissions, and waste.
- In government departments and services of local government that are active in the sectors of transport and public works.
- In their own companies that are active in the fields of design and construction of buildings and infrastructure projects and environmental studies.
- In universities and other academic institutions in Cyprus and abroad (in teaching and/or research).
- In research centres in Cyprus and abroad.